Eat Your Way to a Brighter, Whiter Smile!
A warm, friendly smile is one of the first things you notice when you meet someone. While there are many ways to brighten your smile, did you know that by simply eating certain foods you can increase the sparkle of your pearly whites? We are pleased to share five foods that are great for your teeth, a bright smile and your overall health.
1. Chomp Apples. Eating an apple causes you to chew more than usual and produce saliva, which naturally cleans your teeth and scrubs away bacteria in your mouth. The apple’s texture also helps strengthen your gums when you bite into it. The fruit also contains malic acid, which helps remove stains from tooth enamel. It’s been said that an apple a day keeps the doctor away – but it also improves your oral health!
2. Choose Cheese. This versatile dairy product is a must-have if you want a whiter smile. This saliva-producing food breaks down unwanted stains on your teeth and contains lactic acid, which can act as a whitening agent. Studies have shown that consuming cheese can also increase the pH level in your mouth strengthening the enamel one bite at a time. To keep your portions in check, eat a one-ounce serving size, which is about the size of a pair of dice.
3. Savor Strawberries. This powerful fruit contains several antioxidants that help keep your teeth and mouth stay healthy. The malic acid in these berries can help produce a brightening effect to make your smile shine. Not a strawberry fan? Some other fruits like cherries, peaches and bananas also contain malic acid.
4. Chew Carrots. Raw, hard veggies like carrots force you to chew more than you normally do, which helps you produce more saliva that helps prevent plaque buildup and bad breath. Because of their crunch factor, your gums also benefit and are strengthened. If carrots aren’t your thing, celery, cauliflower and green beans are other great veggie options that have the same effect and can brighten your smile!
5. Pick Pineapples. This delicious, tropical fruit contains an enzyme called bromelin that acts as a natural stain remover and can break up plaque beginning to form on your teeth. The vitamin C-rich food also boosts immunity, aids digestion and improves your overall oral health. Enjoy a tropical flavor and a sparkling smile!
This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Please always follow your healthcare provider’s instructions. Programs and services are subject to change. Managed Health Network, LLC (MHN) is a subsidiary of Health Net, LLC. The MHN companies include Managed Health Network and MHN Services, LLC. Health Net and Managed Health Network are registered service marks of Health Net, LLC or its affiliates. All rights reserved.