Protected Health Information (PHI)
Choosing Who Can See My Protected Health Information (PHI) and Do I Want It To Be Confidential?
As a Health Net member, you can request special, confidential handling of your medical information, also called protected health information (PHI). You can have Health Net send any communication that has PHI directly to you instead of the main subscriber of your family’s health coverage plan. This would be referred to as a “Confidential Communications Request.”
Communications regarding Sensitive Services means: all health care services related to mental or behavioral health, sexual and reproductive health, sexually transmitted infections, substance use disorder, gender affirming care, and intimate partner violence.
PHI is health information about you. Examples of communications that include PHI are
- Explanation of benefits notices (EOB’s)
- Information about your appointment
- Claim denials, requests for additional information about claims, and notices of contested claims.
- The name and address of your provider, descriptions of services provided and other visit information.
If you are over the age of 12 you do not require approval from the main subscriber of your family’s health coverage plan to make this request.
If you are a Health Net group, individual or Medi-Cal plan member and wish to request special, confidential handling of your confidential medical information:
1. Please complete the Confidential Communication Request Form. Select the “Confidential Communication Request Form” link below. If you previously requested special, confidential handling of your confidential medical information, but wish to revoke that request, please complete the Revoke Confidential Communication Form. Select the “Confidential Communication Revocation (Cancellation) Form” link below.
2. In your member portal, see the instructions on requesting that any communication which has PHI is communicated directly to you and will not be accessible to the main subscriber of your family’s health coverage plan. Information accessible on the member portal includes claims history, authorizations and Explanations of Benefits (commonly referred to as EOB’s).]