Coordination of Care
Coordination of care is a critical part of responsible practice. Communication with other health care professionals and/or systems is particularly important if your patient:
- Is taking prescribed psychotropic medications
- Has reported a concurrent medical condition
- Has a substance abuse disorder
- Has a major mental illness (condition other than an adjustment disorder)
- Was referred to you by the Primary Care Physician (PCP) or other medical practitioner, or if the PCP will be following the patient for psychotropic medications
MHN has developed a sample Behavioral Health Coordination Form (16K PDF). Be sure to document your coordination activities, as well as your patient's consent for this communication, in your treatment record.